Week beginning Monday, April 2
Monday, April 2
10 a.m. – Committee On Youth And Human Services, Legislative Conference Room, St. Croix
To receive testimony on the status of policies, programs and services for the elderly and individuals with disabilities.
To hear concerns and recommendations for the improvement of the delivery of services for the elderly and individuals with disabilities.
– The Honorable Sedonie Halbert, Commissioner
– The Honorable Ira M. Hobson, Commissioner
– The Honorable Ruby Simmonds, PH.D. or designee – Office of Special Education
– Dr. Mavis Matthews, Acting Director – Department of Health
– Dr. Joasolene Williams, Acting Director – Division of Mental Health
– Mr. Conrad Francois, Executive Director – Virgin Islands Housing Authority
– Ms. Denyee Singleton, State Director – AARP
– Ms. Catherine Glenn, Director – V.I. Find
– Ms. Felecia A. Brownlow, Director – V.I. Association for Independent Living
– Ms. Gwendolyn Powell, Director – Work-Able
– Ms. Emelia Headley-Lamont, Director – V.I. Advocacy Inc.
– Ms. Carolyn Smith, Acting Director – V.I. Resource Center for the Disabled
– Dr. Yeagen Habyetes, Director – VIUAP – University of the V.I.
– Ms. Megan Littlefield, Director – Lutheran Social Services of the V.I.
– Ms. Esther Johnson, St. Croix Deaf Coalition
6:30 p.m. – Committee On Housing, Parks And Recreation, Legislative Conference Room, St. Croix
Bill No. 24-0024 – To amend Title 29, Chapter 3, Section 232a and Chapter 5, Section 296, Virgin Islands Code pertaining to the Government's exemption from certain development and permit fee requirements under the Virgin Islands Affordable Housing Program
At this meeting, general discussion will include, but not be limited to the following specific complaints inundating my office:
Decaying state of public housing v Lack of maintenance service v Insensitive attitudes of those in authority v Non-response to residents and/or Senators concerns v Promise, promises, promises v "Looking into it, will get back to you," responses
– Executive Director – Virgin Islands Housing Authority
– Supervisor of Management and Tenant Services – St. Thomas/St. Croix
– Managers of all Housing Communities – St. Thomas/St. Croix
– Homeownership Coordinator – St. Thomas/St. Croix
– Section 8 Coordinator – St. Thomas/St. Croix
– Director of Maintenance – St. Thomas/St. Croix
– Modernization Coordinator – St. Thomas/St. Croix
– Director of Planning and Development – St. Thomas/St. Croix
Tuesday, April 3
Reserved for constituent meetings and office work
Wednesday, April 4
9 a.m. – Committee On Rules, Earle B. Ottley Legislative Hall, St. Thomas
– Bill No. 24-0022 – To provide that all revenues collected by the Virgin Islands Bureau of Internal Revenue in excess of those collected in Fiscal Year 2000 be utilized to put all unionized government employees on step
– Bill No. 24-0023 – To establish the United States Virgin Islands Military Museum and Veterans Memorial Complex
Bill No. 24-0029 – To honor and confer posthumously the Medal of Honor on Earle B. Ottley
– Bill No. 24-0033 – To amend Title 17, Section 473(a), Virgin Islands Code, to extend the period of tuition exemption for members for the National Guard and for other related purposes
– Bill No. 24-0034 – To honor and commend the efforts of Virgin Islanders United, Inc. for its members' work in developing a sense of pride and unity among Virgin Islanders residing in New York
– Bill No. 24-0036 – To amend Title 19, Chapter 17, Section 376(b), Virgin Islands Code to provide free emergency medical services to veterans
– Bill No. 24-0039 – To petition the Congress of the United States to amend the Revised Organic Act of 1954 to require that the Attorney General of the Virgin Islands be popularly elected
– Bill No. 24-0040 – To provide for a 8% tax on timeshare units in the Virgin Islands and to provide that the proceeds be deposited into the General Fund of the Government of the Virgin Islands and the Tourism Advertising Revolving Fund
– Bill No. 24-0041 – To reduce the numbers of employees needed for the marine charter boat industry to qualify for Industrial Development Commission benefits from 10 employees to 3
– Bill No. 24-0042 – To transfer and dedicate the property formerly known as the Virgin Islands Hotel as a veterans' multipurpose center and to authorize the Governor to exchange land for a public cemetery and for other related purposes
2 p.m. – Nominee: Wayne D. Callwood, Acting Commissioner – Department of Public Works
Thursday, April 5
6:00 p.m. – Committee Of The Whole – Zoning Hearing, Legislative Conference Room, St. Croix
– Herman Marcus – Request for Amendment to Official Zoning Map No. SCZ-12 for Plot No. 109, Estate Peter's Rest, Queen's Quarter, St. Croix, Virgin Islands, from R-2 (Residential – Low Density, One and Two Family) to B-3 (Business – Scattered), in order to expand an existing business.
– Stephen Delemos – Request for Amendment to Official Zoning Map No. SCZ-10 for Plot No. 49 J, Estate Whim, West End Quarter, St. Croix, Virgin Islands, from R-2 (Residential – Low Density, One and Two Family) to B-3 (Business – Scattered) in order to legitimize the continuation of business.
– Salustiano Saldana – Request for Amendment to Official Zoning District Map No. SCZ-12, for Plot No. 20 Estate Profit, King's Quarter, St. Croix, Virgin Islands, from R-4 (Residential – Medium Density) to B-2 (Business – Secondary/Neighborhood) in order to operate a used automobile dealership.
Friday, April 6
10 a.m. – Committee On Labor And Veterans Affairs, Legislative Conference Room, St. Croix
Consideration Of Bills
– Bill No. 24-0043 – To amend title 24, chapter 1, section 16, Virgin Islands Code to increase the fines for violation of provisions relating to fair labor standards
– Bill Proposal for supplemental appropriation to The Department of Labor
Public hearing on issues affecting Veterans Affairs
– Honorable Cleave Antonio McBean, Brigadier General – V.I. National Guard
– Honorable Cecil R. Benjamin, Acting Commissioner – Department of Labor
– Roger Hodge, Satellite Coordinator – US Department of Veterans Affairs
– Gregory Francis, St. Croix Administrator
– Lawrence Bastian, American Legion Department of PR and VI
– Amos Sealy, American Legion Post 85
– Charles Vallarde, Cyril E. King VFW Post 10674
– James Christian, Bromley Berkly Post 133
6 p.m. – Committee On Labor And Veterans Affairs, Legislative Conference Room, St. Croix
Public hearing on issues affecting Labor Affairs HOVENSA
– Rene Sagebien, President and Chief Executive Officer – HOVENSA
– Alex Moorhead, Vice President for Human Resources – HOVENSA
– Charles Greer, General Superintendent, Bechtel International, Inc.
– Paul Arnold, Human Resources Director – Bechtel International, Inc.
– Ken Lawson, Administrator – Jacobs Pan-American
– Carlos Levy, Manager – Jacobs Pan-American
– J.B. Brailey, Project Manager – Meritt Electric Honorable
– Cecil Benjamin, Acting Commissioner – Department of Labor
– Dan Butler, Project Director – HOVENSA
– Malcolm John, Super Best Electric
If you have a news tip to share, please call or text us at 340-228-8784.