The Virgin Islands Government issued the following update for construction projects that may detour or delay traffic.
WATER AND POWER AUTHORITY
- Charlotte Amalie Hazard Mitigation Project: Excavation continues in the Veterans Drive area between Raadets Gade, Cardow Jewelers and Down Island Trader. This work will be primarily from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m., although there may be limited road closures during the day while crews excavat under gut areas. Pedestrian traffic will be allowed. There may be limited vehicular traffic detours and some parking spaces will be secured during excavation.
- Sunday to April 14: Night work from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. continues in alley ways on Raadets Gade with no obstructions. Terminations of high voltage cables and pad mount transformer installations continue at Dronnigens Gade, Hibiscus Alley, Store Tvaer Gade, Raadets Gade, Veterans Drive and the A.H. Riise area at night until June 2013. There will be no vehicular traffic interruptions. Pedestrian traffic will be allowed in all areas. No traffic flow interruptions are scheduled for the Carnival season.
- Carnival Lighting Installation, Until Tuesday: WAPA has donated 3,000 energy-efficient light bulbs to the V.I. Carnival Committee to light the parade route. Line crews will install lighting and decorations from Hospital Line to Kronprindsens Gade from 6 to 11 p.m. through Tuesday. Vehicular traffic detours may be necessary for brief periods to facilitate the installations. Flaggers will assist traffic flow.
- Christiansted Underground Project Phase II: No work is scheduled for the week of March 31-April 6 on the Christiansted Underground Project while the authority awaits an easement for a Strand Street property.
VIRGIN ISLANDS NEXT GENERATION NETWORK
Overheard hardware will start being installed by end of week.
Contractor: General Engineering Corporation, GEC
On Tuesday and Wednesday, contractors will finish Orange Grove to Times Square, Christiansted trenching. This work will be done from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m.
Trenching will then take place from Center Line Road to VITEMA, past Questa Verde. This will be daytime work and should be finished by end of week.
Contractor: All Rounder
Underground Conduit Installation – Golden Rock Intersection, along Route 75,
then towards WAPA Richmond
Aerial Fiber Installation – East End Loop work along Route 60, westward towards Union and Mount Washington, then along Route 624 and Route 66 (South Shore Road) to Estate Humbug and Estate Catherine’s Rest.
Contractor: Island Roads
Trenching will continue along the Nicholas Friday Highway, Route 32, from the Nadir intersection (Routes 30 and 32) and towards East End Substation (Estate Nazareth). All daytime work.
Contractor: All Rounder
Underground Conduit Installation – Tutu to Old Nadir Gas Station
Aerial Fiber Installation – Complete Fortuna/Bordeaux area than move Mandahl Road area.
Innovative is working on two projects that will affect the flow of traffic over the next few weeks.
- Southgate to Cotton Valley Project: Innovative construction crews began performing excavation work along Route 82 (East End Road) starting at Southgate and ending at the Cotton Valley Remote. This project will take six weeks to complete.
- Sion Farm to Christiansted Project: Innovative construction crews are installing fiber optic cable along Route 70 (Queen Mary Highway) to King Street in Christiansted. Most of the work will be done on the shoulder of the road. The project is scheduled for completion Friday.
Innovative does not have any projects on St. Thomas and St. John that will affect the traffic flow.
V.I. WASTE MANAGEMENT AUTHORITY
The V.I. Waste Management Authority advises residents of the planned road closure and lane reduction as part of the LBJ Phases 2 and 3 Force Main Sewer Line Rehabilitation Project. The road and land closures for this week include the following:
- Northside Road, Route 75: From 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. traffic will be re-routed westbound by Juanita Gardine Elementary School and eastbound at the intersection of Centerline Road by the Golden Rock Shopping Center. Residents of the JFK Housing Community will be allowed access at all times.
- Queen Mary Highway, Route 70: Through Tuesday the road will be reduced to one lane beginning at the intersection of Queste Verde entrance and Queen Mary Highway northward to the intersection by the Golden Rock Shopping Center in 1,000-foot intervals to allow for connections.
The schedule may be modified at any time due to inclement weather.
The LBJ Force Main Phases 2 & 3 Project includes the installation of 4,500 linear feet of a structural liner inside of the existing 24-inch ductile iron sewer line pipe. The project travels east along Northside Road (Route 75) and south along Queen Mary Highway (Route 70). The project will end in the vicinity of the intersection of Queen Mary Highway and the entrance to Queste Verde Condominiums by Beeston Hill.