Saturated patrols on St. Croix had a busy weekend with eight arrests for drugs and possession of a dangerous weapon.
A Corrections officer was caught in the roundup and two people were arrested for driving under the influence. St. Croix Deputy Police Chief Christopher Howell and officers from the Special Operations Response Team and Special Operations Bureau took part in the weekend saturated patrols.
• Jorge J. Acevedo Jr., age 23 was arrested at about 1025 p.m. Saturday in the vicinity of Strand Street, Christiansted. Police said Acevedo had approximately one pound of marijuana packaged for sale in his vehicle. Acevedo is a corrections officer assigned to the Golden Grove Adult Correctional Facility. He was placed on a $10,000 bail, which he was unable to post. He will remain incarcerated until his advice of rights hearing on Wednesday.
• At about 11:25 p.m. 18-year-old Saul Hernandez Jr. of Estate Frangipangi was arrested on Strand Street, Christiansted, and charged with simple possession of a controlled substance. His bail was set at $500.
• Also at about 12:30 a.m.Saturday, 32-year-old Walter R. Williams of Estate Glynn was arrested at Frontline Night Club and charged with simple possession of a controlled substance and resisting arrest. His bail was set at $500.
• At about 8:15 p.m. Friday, Julian A. Bennerson, a 26-year-old resident of Estate Monbijou and 21-year old Merkley Auguste of Walter I. M. Hodge Pavilion housing community were arrested in the vicinity of Queen Street, Christiansted, and charged with possession of a dangerous weapon when police found a taser in the vehicle the men were driving. Bail for each was set at $10,000 and they were remanded to custody.
• At about 9:48 p.m. Friday, 24-year-old Troy Williams of JFK housing community was picked up on King Street in Christiansted and charged with simple possession of a controlled substance. His bail was set at $500.
Police also arrested two people for allegedly driving under the influence.
• Benjamin O. Kantowski, age 33, of Union Mt. Washington, was arrested at about 10:55 p.m. Friday near Gallows Bay and charged with driving while intoxicated. His bail was set at $1,000.
• 68-year-old Pedro R. Melendez of Estate Williams Delight was also arrested by B Command officers at about 3 a.m. Saturday near Market and Queen Streets in Frederiksted and charged with D.U.I. Officers allowed Melendez to surrender his license in lieu of bail, pending his court appearance.