83.9 F
Charlotte Amalie
Sunday, July 3, 2022
HomeNewsArchivesThree Students Suspended for Making 'Inappropriate' Video in Class

Three Students Suspended for Making 'Inappropriate' Video in Class

May 25, 2006 — Three Charlotte Amalie High School students were suspended Thursday for using a cell phone camera to record an inappropriate video in a high school classroom, officials said.
The students, sophomores and juniors at the school, allegedly made the movie in a home economics class, said Lisa Forde, Department of Education deputy superintendent for the St Thomas-St. John district.
Forde said she had not seen the video but had been told by school officials that it was "inappropriate."
"I am disturbed by this situation," she said. "The Department of Education certainly does not condone such behavior on the part of our students."
Police began investigating the incident Thursday. Depending on the nature of the video, the incident could lead to child pornography charges against anyone possessing the file, said police spokesman Sgt. Thomas Hannah, who had not seen the video.
"No police report has been filed," Hannah said. "The police department is aware of the existence of this video."
A school official who had seen the video spoke on condition of anonymity, saying the video did not contain nudity and was little more than students kissing.
School officials have had difficulty enforcing a policy prohibiting students and teachers from bringing mobile phones into classrooms, Forde said.
She said it was the first such incident in recent memory at the school.
Back Talk

Share your reaction to this news with other Source readers. Please include headline, your name and city and state/country or island where you reside.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Keeping our community informed is our top priority.
If you have a news tip to share, please call or text us at 340-228-8784.




Support local + independent journalism in the U.S. Virgin Islands

Unlike many news organizations, we haven't put up a paywall – we want to keep our journalism as accessible as we can. Our independent journalism costs time, money and hard work to keep you informed, but we do it because we believe that it matters. We know that informed communities are empowered ones. If you appreciate our reporting and want to help make our future more secure, please consider donating.

STAY CONNECTED

20,771FansLike
4,757FollowersFollow

FROM FACEBOOK

Comments Box SVG iconsUsed for the like, share, comment, and reaction icons

Host Adisha Penn recaps the biggest headlines of the week while Source reporter Knema Willett joins USVI Division of Festivals Director Ian Turnbull in the studio for some behind-the-scenes info on the 2022 St. John Celebration. ... See MoreSee Less

Comment on Facebook

My only critique that nobody asked for, record videos horizontally 🖤

Load more
May 25, 2006 -- Three Charlotte Amalie High School students were suspended Thursday for using a cell phone camera to record an inappropriate video in a high school classroom, officials said.
The students, sophomores and juniors at the school, allegedly made the movie in a home economics class, said Lisa Forde, Department of Education deputy superintendent for the St Thomas-St. John district.
Forde said she had not seen the video but had been told by school officials that it was "inappropriate."
"I am disturbed by this situation," she said. "The Department of Education certainly does not condone such behavior on the part of our students."
Police began investigating the incident Thursday. Depending on the nature of the video, the incident could lead to child pornography charges against anyone possessing the file, said police spokesman Sgt. Thomas Hannah, who had not seen the video.
"No police report has been filed," Hannah said. "The police department is aware of the existence of this video."
A school official who had seen the video spoke on condition of anonymity, saying the video did not contain nudity and was little more than students kissing.
School officials have had difficulty enforcing a policy prohibiting students and teachers from bringing mobile phones into classrooms, Forde said.
She said it was the first such incident in recent memory at the school.
Back Talk


Share your reaction to this news with other Source readers. Please include headline, your name and city and state/country or island where you reside.