While meeting on St. Croix Thursday, the Virgin Islands Water and Power Authority Governing Board approved contract amendments as well as the 2020 Electric System Operating Budget.
The board approvals included:
· A time extension to Dec. 31, 2019, on an existing contract with Fortress Electric to complete work on a double-ended load center. The work will support and guarantee the operability of the Estate Richmond Power Plant on St. Croix. The new equipment includes increased safety equipment for personnel and protective schemes for the equipment.
· Additional funding in the amount of $591,264 to Asplundh Tree Expert LLC through the end of the contract year. The company provides tree trimming and right of way clearance on all three islands. The overall contract total is $1.5 million.
· A no-cost addendum to a contract with Haugland Energy for the installation of composite poles. The changes to the contract allow for the installation of pole sizes that were not originally listed and quoted.
· Contract extensions and increases with Intelligent Security and Comprehensive Security. The firms provide guard services to the Authority. The extensions will change the contract end dates to Nov. 30, 2019, to allow a new Request for Proposals for security services to be issued. The Intelligent Security increase is $197,658, bringing the contract total to $2.4 million while the Comprehensive Security increase is $212,580 for an overall contract total of $2.2 million.
· Electric System Operating Expense Budget: $237 million.
Board members in attendance included: Vice Chairman Noel Loftus, Secretary Juanita Young, Gerald T. Groner, Elizabeth Armstrong and Director Kyle Fleming. Chairman Anthony D. Thomas, Director Joel Lee, Hubert Turnbull and Cheryl Boynes-Jackson were excused.