The V.I. Department of Health (VIDOH) is revising its isolation and quarantine guidelines to align with the recommendations of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The new policies are:
Isolation: If someone has a positive COVID-19 test
- Isolate immediately when you suspect you are infected. Get a test and isolate for five days as soon as you receive a positive COVID-19 test regardless of vaccination status. Wear a well-fitted mask at home and do not travel.
- End Isolation after five days when fever-free for 24 hours with no fever reducing medication is taken and symptoms are improving. If you were very sick or have a weak immune system, stay in isolation for 10 days and consult a doctor before coming out of isolation.
- After Isolation, watch for symptoms for 10 days and wear a well-fitted mask at home and in public. Avoid places where you can’t wear a mask. Do not travel for 10 days after symptoms or a positive test date. Avoid high-risk persons who are likely to get very sick from COVID-19.
Quarantine: If you have been exposed to a positive COVID-19 Case
For people not up to date on COVID-19 vaccines
- Quarantine for five days and get tested if you have had a close contact with someone who is COVID-19 positive. Wear a well-fitted mask at home and watch for symptoms for 10 days. If symptoms develop, isolate, get tested and wear a well-fitted mask.
- After quarantine, take precautions for 10 days; wear a well-fitted mask; don’t go places you can’t wear a mask; take precautions traveling; and avoid high-risk persons likely to get very sick with COVID-19.
For people up to date on COVID-19 vaccines
- No quarantine is necessary for persons up to date (first and second vaccines plus first and second boosters).
- No quarantine is necessary for persons who were exposed and had a confirmed case of COVID-19 within the past 90 days (on a viral test) without symptoms. Get tested on day 5.
Watch for symptoms until day 10.
- Isolate If symptoms develop, get tested and wait for results. Wear a well-fitting mask and continue to take precautions until day 10. Take precautions traveling; wear a well-fitted mask for 10 days; and avoid high-risk individuals who may get very sick.