A slate of events are scheduled for all week long, paying tribute to the local, state, and federal law enforcement officers serving the territory.
President John F. Kennedy signed a proclamation in 1962 designating May 15 as Peace Officers Memorial Day and the week in which that date falls as Police Week. This year national police week will be celebrated from May 12 to May 18.
“Being a police officer is often stated as a thankless job, but I say, ‘Thank you’ and ‘I appreciate you,'” acting Police Commissioner Jason K. Marsh said in a news release issued Sunday by the VIPD. “At the same time, we must remember those that have given their lives protecting our community. Let us continue to embrace their families as our family.”
Activities planned for the observance are:
ST.THOMAS – ST. JOHN
– Monday, May 13 – 7 a.m. to noon a meet-and-greet in the Superior Court yard.
– Tuesday, May 14– 8 a.m. to 2 p.m., STJ Breakfast/Lunch meet-and-greet at Jurgen Command.
– Wednesday, May 15 – 1 a.m., parade from the Jurgen Command on St. John, ending at Cruz Bay.
– Thursday, May 16 – Bags of Love Civilian Drive
– Friday, May17 – 8 a.m. to 3 p.m., the kids culinary event in Emancipation Garden.
– Saturday, May 18 – Beginning at 5 p.m., a peace concert in Emancipation Garden
– Monday, May 13– Beginning at 9 a.m., Shooting competition, at the St. Croix marksman shooting range on the South Shore.
– Monday, May 13 – Beginning at 9 a.m., Carwash Competition at the Patrick Sweeney substation.
– Tuesday, May 14 – Beginning at 12:30 p.m., AncilmoMarshal Command Open House
– Wednesday, May 15 – 7:30 a.m., Grave site visitation starting at the Headquarters Pavilion.
– Wednesday, May 15 – 10 a.m. Police officers’ memorial, headquarters Violet Damiduax Pavilion, Golden Grove.
– Wednesday, May 15, 5 p.m., Candlelight vigil at the Ann Abrahamson Pier.
– Thursday, May 16 – 9 a.m. Special operations open house.
– Thursday, May 16 – 7 p.m., Kickball at AliceaBallpark at Castle Coakley, and beer chug competition.
– Friday, May 17 – 12:30 p.m., Wilbur Francis Command Open House.
– Friday, May 17 – 7 p.m., Bowling at the Tropical Bowling Alley.
– Saturday, May 18 – 11 a.m., Ride, Run, Walk and Sprint Competition. Race begins at Marshall Command on a bike to Pearl B. Larsen School.