May 20, 2004 — Plaques will be affixed to 22 buildings of historical significance on St. Croix as part of a project initiated by the St. Croix Historical Preservation Commission. The St. Croix Landmarks Society researched the historical value of the buildings, located in Christiansted and Frederiksted. The project is funded by a Community Development Block Grant.
The project will be revealed in a press conference at 10 a.m. Friday at the Fort Frederik Museum in Frederiksted, a release from the Department of Planning and Natural Resource said. According to the release, the criterion for the selection of the historic properties was based on association with historic figures, architecture, history, and property maintenance.
The properties that will be recognized are:
3 Hill Street – "SOLHOI"
This well-preserved town house was built in the 1770's by Customs Manager Friderich Trott. Prominent among its other owners and residents were DeWindt, Gordon, Dahl, Lund, Quinn and Burnett families.
41 King Street
Built in 1817 to replace an 18th century structure, this residence and former variety store was enlarged into its present size by the Schmuck family, who were the owners between 1853 and 1895. The structure was renovated in 2001 by Rita deChabert Schuster.
Albert C. Edwards Fish Market
A commercial and political gathering place since its construction in 1902, this market is named after a well-known local fisherman. Previously, fishermen sold their catch on the waterfront apron along Strand Street.
#4 Company Street, Christiansted
This large complex was created in the 1880's by A. Paludan-Muller. Its main building, dating from the 1770's, was once home to American statesman Dr. Edward Stevens. In 1828 it was purchased by Peder E. Benzon, who converted the lower floor into an apothecary that operated until 1970.
#30-31 Strand Street, Frederiksted
Built as a town house in 1885 by American merchant Robert G. Bell, this well-preserved building, now government owned, has also served as a junior high school, arts and crafts center and currently as the Athalie McFarlande Petersen public library.
#48 Queen Street
Built circa 1833, this distinguished town house owes its outstanding architectural details to the Abbot family who owned and enlarged it between 1838 and 1875. It is named after the Benjamin family who owned it since 1940.
#1 King Street, Christiansted
Built by Baron de Bretton in the late 1760's, this building has served as a tavern, inn, residence and retail outlet. D. Hamilton Jackson, who acquired it in 1916, located the St. Croix Labor Union Office and the Herald newspaper on the 2nd floor.
Christian "Shan" Hendricks Market
#7 Company Street, Christiansted
A focal point of Crucian culture, this market square has been in continuous use since the 1750's. The well dates back to 1863. The market stall is a replica of a late 19th century structure. The market was named after a butcher who operated a shop in the square.
#1 Hill Street, Christiansted
This well preserved 18th century town house has been home to several Danish colonial officials, including Governor-General W. A. Lindemann, Justiraad F. Friderichsen and J. A. Stakemann. The Coff family has owned it since 1920.
Merchant Cornelius Hendrichsen built this store and residence in the 1780's. It was progressively enlarged by the Finlay family, which owned and occupied it from 1844 trough 1925. A.J. Ayer and family restored it in the 1980's.
Strand Street, Frederiksted
Erected as a 2-story town house in 1803 by the DaCosta family, this sturdy building has been greatly modified over the years. Major alterations occurred in the 1930's when the residence was converted into the Frederiksted 's main hospital.
#56-57 King Street, Christiansted
This 18th century building has housed a retail store, a hotel, the Union Club, the Avis newspaper and the Public Library. The Finlay, Pederson, Heyliger, Quinn and Penthany families are prominent among its many owners.
Holy Cross Roman Catholic Church
#21 Company Street, Christiansted
Organically constructed in the 1760's, Holy Cross was rebuilt in the 1850's to accommodate a growing congregation. It's distinctive architecture combines Spanish features with Neo-Gothic elements. The church was renovated in the 1980's.
Holy Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church
#11-14 New Street, Frederiksted
This modest church with its classical detailing was constructed in 1792 to serve its European and African communicants. The bell tower was added in 1852.
Lord God of Sabaoth Evangelical Lutheran Church
#4 King Street, Christiansted
St. Croix's oldest existing church, built circa 1740 by the Dutch Reformed Church. The Lutheran congregation took it over in 1828 and added the distinctive, Neo-classical tower in 1843.
#51 King Street, Christiansted
Built as a town house by the prominent DeNully family in the mid 18th century, this elegant building has served as the Lutheran parsonage since being donated to the Church in 1875.
Market Street and Queen Street
#2 Strand Street, Frederiksted
A focal point of Crucian culture since the 1770's, market square once occupied all four corners of this intersection. The market stall, named after Ann Heyliger, a beloved food seller, is a replica of an original built in 1905.
#2 Strand Street, Frederiksted
Robert L. Merwin & Co., Frederiksted's leading mercantile firm of the twentieth century, erected this commercial building as its headquarters in 1917. Occupation of the site by other prominent businesses began in the 1760's.
#51 Company Street, Christiansted
The Quinn House is an outstanding example of Christiansted's high style, with 18th century architecture. The structure has belonged to several prominent families, including newspaper editor Frank A. Quinn, who owned it from 1891 to 1959.
St. Gerard's Hall
#68 Hospital Street, Frederiksted
St. Gerard's has been in continuous use as a cultural, educational and community center since its construction in 1914-15 by the St. Patrick's Roman Catholic Church.
St. John's Anglican Church
#27 King Street, Christiansted
Built in the early 1850's to replace an earlier 1772 structure, and rebuilt in 1868 after a fire in 1866. The design reflects the gothic revival style prescribed for Anglican churches during the Victoria age.
St. Patrick's Roman Catholic Church
#62-67 Hospital Street, Frederiksted
Built in 1846 to accommodate a growing free and enslaved congregation, St. Patrick's combines Neo-Gothic revival and Neo-Classical architectural elements. The church reflects a Spanish flair characteristic of many Frederiksted buildings.
#7-8 Strand Street, Frederiksted
In 1881, Irish merchant Edward Masterson built this residence on the ruins of an 18th century house destroyed during the "Fireburn" labor insurrection of 1878. It is a fine example of the gingerbread style introduced to Frederiksted in the late 19th century.
Share your reaction to this news with other Source readers. Please include headline, your name and city and state/country or island where you reside.
Publisher's note : Like the St. Croix Source now? Find out how you can love us twice as much — and show your support for the islands' free and independent news voice… click here.