78.7 F
Charlotte Amalie
Saturday, April 20, 2024
HomeNewsArchivesUVI BULLETIN BOARD

UVI BULLETIN BOARD

Oct. 10, 2002 — The University of the Virgin Islands Bulletin Board issued today includes:

"Fill the Fitness Center" Effort, Post-Volleyball Tramp Planned
UVI's Bucs volleyball men's and women's teams open the 2002-2003 home season Friday and Saturday (Oct. 11-12) with matches against the University of Puerto Rico-Metropolidad.
UVI's athletics department is challenging the University community to "Fill the Fitness Center" in support of the teams. Free UVI T-shirts will be given to all members of the group mustering the largest contingent over the two days of matches.
The women's squad opens Friday's action at 6:30 p.m. The men's match follows at approximately 8 p.m. Matches continue Saturday on the same schedule. Following the Bucs' Friday matches, a tramp through the St. Thomas campus is planned. The tramp is expected to start between 11 p.m. and midnight. "Showdown Band" will provide the music. The tramp will leaves from Sports and Fitness Center, head up to main entrance by way of the stone gates and conclude at the Recreation Center. Music is expected to continue until 3 a.m.
UVI Board of Trustees to Meet Saturday, Oct. 12, on St. Croix
The University of the Virgin Islands Board of Trustees will meet at 9 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 12, in the Research and Extension Center Building on the St. Croix campus.
The meeting will hear Dr. LaVerne Ragster's first report to the Board in her capacity as president, among other agenda items.
Ground Cover Workshop Offered October 14 on St. Thomas
UVI's Cooperative Extension Service will offer a workshop on groundcovers Monday, Oct. 14, from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. at the Sports and Fitness Center on the University's St. Thomas campus. The public is invited to this free workshop. For details call Carlos Robles at 693-1083 or 693-1080.
UVI Offers Short Courses On Parenting, Money Management on St. Croix
UVI's Cooperative Extension Service, 4-H, and Family and Consumer Sciences Program on the St. Croix campus will offer short courses on Parenting and Basic Money Management beginning Oct. 14 and 16, respectively. Classes are free. Call Dorothy Gibbs at 692-4089 to register or for details.
Courses include:
–Parenting Oct. 14-Dec. 9. Meets on Mondays, from 10 a.m. to noon, in Cooperative Extension Service building Room 133.
–Basic Money Management Oct. 16-Dec. 4. Meets on Wednesdays, from 10 a.m. to noon, in Cooperative Extension Service building Room 139.
UVI Magazine 2002, Current Events Photos Featured on Home Page
The UVI community is encouraged to check outt the latest additions to the UVI Internet site. Along with current UVI news releases and the dateline: UVI monthly newsletter, the site now includes a link to UVI Magazine 2002, which celebrates UVI's 40th anniversary, and several sets of photographs from recent campus activities on St. Croix and St. Thomas. All links are accessible directly from the UVI home page www.uvi.edu.
UVI-CES Program Recognized for Poster Presentation
Congratulations to the staffers of UVI's Cooperative Extension Service who recently received a silver award for a poster presentation delivered at the Third National Extension Natural Resources Conference. The poster presentation concerned the "VI*A*Syst – Virgin Islands Home & Farm Water Quality Assessment Program." More details are available on the Cooperative Extension Service's web site: rps.uvi.edu/CES/wqhome.htm .
Red Ribbon Week Activities to Promote Drug Free Community
UVI's St. Thomas Campus will celebrate National Red Ribbon Week from Oct. 23-31. The theme is "Working Together for a Drug Free Community." Red Ribbon week honors Drug Enforcement Agent Enrique "Kiki" Camarena who was murdered in 1985 by a drug cartel in Mexico. Zaida Castro, coordinator of the UVI Drug and Alcohol Prevention Program, said the goal at UVI is to educate the University community about the dangers of alcohol and other drugs. The committee is inviting the UVI Community to attend a forum titled "Crisis in Paradise: Drugs, Crime, and VI Youth" on Oct. 31 in Chase Auditorium, Room B110, from 12:30 p.m. to 2 p.m. The committee is also urging individuals to refrain from consuming alcoholic beverages during this week.
Other Red Ribbon Week activities include:
— Pledge Day – Wednesday, Oct. 23 – Make a pledge to be drug free and collect a red ribbon token at the UVI Cafeteria Terrace from noon to 2 p.m.
— Wear Red Day – Thursday, Oct. 24 – competition for the best Red Ribbon Hairstyle and Most Creative Red Ribbon Out-Fit. Interested individuals should contact Zaida Castro at the associate chancellor's office (phone 693-1120) no later than Monday, Oct. 21. Judging will take place at the UVI Cafeteria Terrace from noon to 12:30 p.m.
— "Users are Losers" Skit Competition – Thursday, Oct. 24 – UVI Cafeteria Terrace from 12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. All interested students and/or organizations should sign up with Castro of the associate chancellor's office (2nd floor of the Health Center Services Building) no later than Monday, Oct. 21. Skits should be a maximum of seven minutes and should reflect a drug- and alcohol-free message. Judging will take place Thursday, Oct. 24.
— Competition for the best-decorated residence hall door – Door decorations should reflect the theme: "Working Together for a Drug Free Community." Judging will take place on Tuesday, Oct. 29 at 10 a.m. Prizes will be awarded for the various competitions. For more information contact the office of the associate chancellor at 693-1120.
Co-ed Volleyball for Retirees Class Offered on St. Thomas campus
UVI's education division will offer a one-hour, co-ed Volleyball for Retirees class on Mondays and Wednesdays at 11 a.m. Prof. Eldridge Blake will be the instructor. Blake has been a volleyball coach and trainer for 25 years, working with the national volleyball teams of the British Virgin Islands, Anguilla, St. Maarten, Curaçao, St. Kitts, the gold medal winning men of the U.S. Virgin Islands (1978), and the perennial local and international champion UVI Bucs. Coach Blake will accept registrations on Mondays through Thursdays, between 10:50 and 11:30 a.m., at the UVI Sports and Fitness Center. Class sessions will commence after the first 14 students register. A maximum of 25 students will be accepted. Blake urges retirees to get clearance from their doctors before taking this class. For information call 693-1198.
Revised VI Environmental Protection Handbook Now Available
UVI's Cooperative Extension Service (CES) is offering the Virgin Islands Environmental Protection Handbook on the University website. The handbook, revised and reprinted by UVI-CES through a non-point source pollution management grant from the V.I. Planning and Natural Resources Department, describes proper pollution prevention practice design, installation and maintenance. It presents up-to-date information on design practices for low-impact developments, specifications for erosion, sediment and storm water best-management practices (BMPs), and describes predictive models that can be used to estimate erosion and runoff. It is specifically designed for the construction industry (architects, contractors, draftsmen, developers, and engineers), but is also useful for individual property owners. Access to the handbook is via a .pdf file on the CES webpage (see address above.) Hard copies are available for $15. To order, contact Faye Williams at 692-9632 extension 01 or Julie Wright at 693-1082.
SGA Plans "Happy Hour" Friday on the St. Croix Campus
The Social and Cultural Committee of the St. Croix campus Student Government Association will sponsor a "happy hour" beginning at 4:30 p.m. Friday, Oct. 11, at the Student Center. Food and dr
inks will be on sale and entertainment will be provided. The event is open to the entire UVI community.
Student Volunteers Sought for Uvision
Uvision, the student newspaper of the University of the Virgin Islands, is seeking student volunteers to work on the newspaper staff. Needed are editors, writers, graphic artists, photographers, page layout editors, and others. Students do not have to be journalism or communications majors to serve on the staff. More information is available from faculty advisor Gwendolyn Kelly via e-mail at uvision@uvi.edu or by calling 777-3979.
Fall Concert: 'Christ on Li'l Broadway' Set Oct. 12
The UVI Music Department will present its annual fall semester concert entitled "Christ on Li'l Broadway," at 8 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 12, at Christ Church Methodist (Market Square) on St. Thomas. Performing will be the university's premier concert band, under the direction of Professor Austin A. Venzen, and UVI's Men's Glee Club. A number of guest artists from St. Thomas schools will also perform. Tickets are $10 for adults, $5 for children and are available at the UVI Bookstore, the humanities office and from UVI band members. For more information call 693-1192.
Reichhold Offering Theatergoers Free Barge Service for Sanborn Show
UVI's Reichhold Center for the Arts has arranged for free barge service for theatergoers traveling from St. John for the season-opening performance of jazz saxophonist David Sanborn on Saturday, Oct. 19. The free barge service will be offered on the M/V Captain Vic, which is operated by Republic Barge Service. At least 10 cars are required to make this special offer possible. For details call the Reichhold Center Ticket Office at 693-1559.
Tickets for the Sanborn show are available for $70, $45 and $25. Tickets are also available for the center's entire seven-show season which runs through May 25, 2003.
David Sanborn is being presented in conjunction with Theodore Tunick and Company. For a sample of Sanborn's music log on to the Reichhold Center's web site at www.reichholdcenter.com
SGA to Celebrate Diversity with Sharing of Cultural Foods
The St. Thomas Campus Student Government Association kicks off an ongoing "Celebration of Diversity and Common Heritage" with a Taste of Friendship Monday, Oct. 14, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Cafeteria Terrace on the St. Thomas campus. The event, designed to promote understanding of and respect for individual diversity, happens to fall on Virgin Islands-Puerto Rico Friendship Day.
Table displays and food sampling representing various cultures will be available throughout the day.
Other events are scheduled as follows:
— 11 a.m. to noon: video presentations
— noon to 1 p.m.: stage performances by the Spanish Afro Antillean Dance and Poetry Group; choreographed dance of Celia Cruz's "Carnaval;" Capoeira demonstration – an African Brazilian martial-arts and dance form
— 1 p.m. to 2 p.m.: demonstration on the preparation of pick-up saltfish and jawbone candy
— hourly: "Cultural Tic Tac Toe" game with prizes for students
The event is free and open to the UVI community. The next event in the diversity and heritage celebration is planned for January 2002. For more information contact the St. Thomas campus student activities office at 693-1111.
For more on the University of the Virgin Islands, visit the website at www.uvi.edu.
Publisher's note : Like the St. John Source now? Find out how you can love us twice as much — and show your support for the islands' free and independent news voice … click here.

Keeping our community informed is our top priority.
If you have a news tip to share, please call or text us at 340-228-8784.

Support local + independent journalism in the U.S. Virgin Islands

Unlike many news organizations, we haven't put up a paywall – we want to keep our journalism as accessible as we can. Our independent journalism costs time, money and hard work to keep you informed, but we do it because we believe that it matters. We know that informed communities are empowered ones. If you appreciate our reporting and want to help make our future more secure, please consider donating.

UPCOMING EVENTS

UPCOMING EVENTS