79.9 F
Charlotte Amalie
Thursday, April 18, 2024
HomeNewsArchivesUVI BULLETIN BOARD

UVI BULLETIN BOARD

May 27, 2003 – The University of the Virgin Islands Bulletin Board issued today has these announcements:
Ninth Annual Summer Institute for Future Global Leaders Continues
UVI's ninth annual Summer Institute for Future Global Leaders in the Caribbean is under way on the St. Thomas campus. A total of 45 students, representing 25 universities and campuses in the Caribbean, the United States and Europe are participating. This year's theme is "Turbulent Times for Global Leaders," according to the institute's director, UVI professor Dr. Solomon Kabuka.
The UVI community is invited to attend the following sessions of general interest:
— World Forum – 8:30 p.m. Wednesday, May 28, in the UVI Sports and Fitness Center.
— Presentation – Students' Leadership Prospectuses – 8:30 a.m. Friday, May 30, in Chase Auditorium.
— Commencement – 9 a.m. Saturday, May 31, at the UVI Student Activity Center.
For more information call 693-1310.
Summer Session Registration Set for June 5 and 6
Summer registration will be conducted June 5 and 6 on St. Thomas and St. Croix. Summer session will run Monday, June 9, through Wednesday, July 23, 2003.
Registration Schedule
— St. Thomas – June 5 and 6, 3 p.m. – 7 p.m.
— St. Croix – June 5: M – R (1 p.m. – 4 p.m.); S – Z (4 p.m. – 6 p.m.)
— St. Croix – June 6: A – F (1 p.m. – 4 p.m.); G – L (4p.m. – 6 p.m.)
Summer Session Late Registration
— St. Thomas – June 9, noon – 6 p.m.
— St. Croix – June 9-10, noon – 4 p.m.
UVI Application Deadline for Fall 2003 Classes Is May 30
May 30 is the deadline for prospective students to apply for admission to UVI's fall 2003 classes. Undergraduate and graduate applications are being accepted. Individuals should submit an admissions application to the admissions office on either campus. Along with the UVI application, an official high school or college transcript is required. SAT or ACT scores should be included. CXC, GCE or CAPE results are required if applicable. The application fee is $20. Direct questions to 693-1150 on St. Thomas or to 692-4158 on St. Croix. Information is also available on the "Admissions Pages" of UVI's web site (click on link at end of article).
Fall Semester Registration Set for August 13-15
Registration for the fall semester on both campuses is August 13-15. The 2003 fall semester begins August 18 and ends December 14.
New Courses in Humanities and Education Planned
The University of the Virgin Islands' humanities and education divisions offer new courses for the 2003 summer and fall semesters on the St. Thomas campus. The humanities division will offer courses in public speaking, conversational French, and international literature for the summer semester, and creative writing for the fall semester. The education division will offer the course "Science and the Elementary Teacher" for the fall semester. See more details in the Source separate article in this section. For further information regarding registration call 693-1150 on St. Thomas, and 692-4158 on St. Croix.
May Issue of dateline: UVI Now Available on Home Page
The May issue of the monthly newsletter dateline: UVI is now available on the UVI home page. The newsletter highlights commencement 2003 on the St. Croix and St. Thomas campuses as well as UVI's participation in Carnival 2003. It is available from the front page of the UVI site or at this direct link. Individual UVI offices are receiving reduced numbers of the printed version of dateline:UVI. The newsletter's print run was reduced by 65 percent, in accordance with UVI's ongoing cost containment efforts.
Capital Projects Begins Work on St. Thomas Campus Cooling System
UVI's capital projects office is in the process of upgrading the cooling system which serves the upper portion of the St. Thomas campus. This work, which is expected to take about one month, involves the library and the four adjacent classroom buildings. Central Air, vendor for this project, began work on Monday, May 26 in the area west of the library. The office asks that all motorists proceed with caution when driving in this area and observe any traffic redirection. For more information call 693-1504.
Pre-construction Planning Short Course Offered Throughout the Virgin Islands
A short course in "Pre-construction Planning for Property Owners" will be offered by UVI's Cooperative Extension Service with sessions available on St. John, St. Thomas and St. Croix. The course will focus on how to assess a property's physical conditions and how to develop an effective earth change plan, with an eye toward saving valuable topsoil and native habitat while reducing the potential for property damage and pollution. All V.I. residents planning to build a home are encouraged to attend this free course. The course is also appropriate for representatives from community groups, real estate agencies and homeowners associations. To register contact Julie Wright or Dale Morton at 693-1080.
Course sections are scheduled as follows:
— St. John – 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday, May 27, in the CES office above Fashion Palace in Cruz Bay.
— St. Thomas – 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. on Thursday, May 29, in the Sports and Fitness Center on the St. Thomas campus.
— St. Croix – 7 to 9 p.m. on Tuesday, June 3, in Room 133 of the Research and Extension center on the St. Croix campus.
Urban Box Gardening Workshops Offered for UVI Faculty, Staff
UVI faculty and staff on St. Croix and St. Thomas are invited to attend workshops in Urban Box Gardening from 4 to 6 p.m. Friday, May 30. The St. Croix workshop is planned for West Campus; the St. Thomas workshop will take place in the CES building. CES State Director Kwame N. Garcia Sr. said these workshops will address the economic, therapeutic and other benefits of growing your own food. Special attention will be paid to situations of limited garden space and/or poor soils. There will be demonstrations of container gardening and box gardens, including the actual construction of a box garden. Vegetable seedlings will also be distributed. There is no charge for the workshop. For more information contact 692-4071 on St. Croix or 693-1080 on St. Thomas.
Cooperative Extension Service Announces 4-H Camp Registration
UVI's Cooperative Extension Service will offer 4-H Summer Academy camps on St. Thomas, St. John and St Croix for children ages 5 to 13 from June 23 through August 1. 4-H Summer Academies provide a wide range of activities and educational programs. Cost is $150 per child, and $125 for each additional family member. UVI faculty and staff members will be charged $75 per child. Camp locations will be announced in the near future. Birth certificates and immunization cards are require.
— St Croix registration will run from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. on June 3-6 at the UVI Research and Extension Center, Room 130, on the St. Croix campus.
— St. John registration is planned from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. from June 3-6 at the Cooperative Extension Service office located above Fashion Palace in Cruz Bay.
— St. Thomas registration will be conducted from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 4 to 6 p.m. from June 3-6 at the Cooperative Extension Service office in the New House Building on the St. Thomas campus. For more information, call 692-4087 on St. Croix, 693-1080 on St. Thomas, and 776-6492 on St. John.
Human Resources Management Seminar Set for June 4 on St. Croix
The UVI Small Business Development Center will be conducting a human resource seminar entitled "Human Resource Management" from 5:45 to 8 p.m. Wednesday, June 4, at the UVI-SBDC Training Center located in the Sunshine Mall lower level, St. Croix. For more information and to pre-register, call UVI-SBDC at 692-5270.
SBDC Seminar on Developing Resumes Set for May 28 on St. Croix
The UVI Small Busine
ss Development Center will conduct a seminar entitled "Stop Keeping Yourself A Secret: Developing a Resume That Will Work For You" from 5:45 to 8 p.m. Wednesday, May 28, at the UVI-SBDC Training Center located in the Sunshine Mall lower level, St. Croix. For more information and to pre-register, call UVI-SBDC at 692-5270.
Safe Diving and Hyperbaric Medicine Workshop Scheduled for May 30
A safe diving and hyperbaric medicine workshop is scheduled from 4 to 6 p.m. Friday, May 30, at UVI's MacLean Marine Science Center on the St. Thomas campus. The workshop is open to the general public, and is targeted toward dive operators, recreational divers and fishermen. Presenters will include representatives from the hyperbaric medicine program at Centro Medico Hospital in Puerto and from the University of Puerto Rico's Sea Grant Program. The workshop is free but pre-registration is request. For pre registration or more information contact UVI Marine Advisor Mayra Suárez-Vélez at 693-1392.
For more on the University of the Virgin Islands, visit the website at www.uvi.edu.

Publisher's note : Like the St. Croix Source now? Find out how you can love us twice as much — and show your support for the islands' free and independent news voice … click here.

Keeping our community informed is our top priority.
If you have a news tip to share, please call or text us at 340-228-8784.

Support local + independent journalism in the U.S. Virgin Islands

Unlike many news organizations, we haven't put up a paywall – we want to keep our journalism as accessible as we can. Our independent journalism costs time, money and hard work to keep you informed, but we do it because we believe that it matters. We know that informed communities are empowered ones. If you appreciate our reporting and want to help make our future more secure, please consider donating.

UPCOMING EVENTS

UPCOMING EVENTS