80.3 F
Charlotte Amalie
Friday, May 20, 2022
HomeNewsArchivesCANCYRN SHUT DOWN FOR SECOND TIME IN ONE DAY

CANCYRN SHUT DOWN FOR SECOND TIME IN ONE DAY

Nov. 9, 2001 – Addelita Cancryn Junior High School students were evacuated from the school for the second time in four hours Friday, and for the fourth time in three days.
Shortly after noon, half of the students were once again marching down the road from the school to Joseph Aubain Ball Park in Frenchtown, while the other half headed for the school athletic field to the west.
"Ridiculous," had been the word of the day during the first evacuation, and it was being heard again. "I just don't know," said assistant principal Selassie Francis, who was herding the students away from their school for the second time Friday, trying to keep them out of the way of passing traffic. One student on crutches held onto the arm of his teacher as he trekked down the street in the noon sun.
School was over for Friday. "We're sending them back to the school to get their things and get out as quickly as possible," Francis said. "The call came in a little after noon this time."
A teacher accompanying the students said, "I'm beginning to wonder when it will end. Look at the kids. This is awful."
Deputy Police Chief Theodore Carty could not immediately be reached for comment.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Keeping our community informed is our top priority.
If you have a news tip to share, please call or text us at 340-228-8784.




Support local + independent journalism in the U.S. Virgin Islands

Unlike many news organizations, we haven't put up a paywall – we want to keep our journalism as accessible as we can. Our independent journalism costs time, money and hard work to keep you informed, but we do it because we believe that it matters. We know that informed communities are empowered ones. If you appreciate our reporting and want to help make our future more secure, please consider donating.

STAY CONNECTED

20,771FansLike
4,718FollowersFollow

FROM FACEBOOK

Comments Box SVG iconsUsed for the like, share, comment, and reaction icons
Load more
Nov. 9, 2001 – Addelita Cancryn Junior High School students were evacuated from the school for the second time in four hours Friday, and for the fourth time in three days.
Shortly after noon, half of the students were once again marching down the road from the school to Joseph Aubain Ball Park in Frenchtown, while the other half headed for the school athletic field to the west.
"Ridiculous," had been the word of the day during the first evacuation, and it was being heard again. "I just don't know," said assistant principal Selassie Francis, who was herding the students away from their school for the second time Friday, trying to keep them out of the way of passing traffic. One student on crutches held onto the arm of his teacher as he trekked down the street in the noon sun.
School was over for Friday. "We're sending them back to the school to get their things and get out as quickly as possible," Francis said. "The call came in a little after noon this time."
A teacher accompanying the students said, "I'm beginning to wonder when it will end. Look at the kids. This is awful."
Deputy Police Chief Theodore Carty could not immediately be reached for comment.