74.9 F
Charlotte Amalie
Tuesday, May 24, 2022
HomeNewsArchives40-YEAR-OLD MAN GUILTY OF RAPING 15-YEAR-OLD GIRL

40-YEAR-OLD MAN GUILTY OF RAPING 15-YEAR-OLD GIRL

A St. Croix jury on Wednesday found a 40-year-old man guilty of three charges of raping a minor girl.
Auguste Charlemagne was convicted of aggravated rape, unlawful sexual contact and child abuse for twice raping a 15-year-old girl in 1998. The victim and her sister had been taken in by Charlemagne and his wife from St. Lucia.
The victim reported the rapes in March of last year after Charlemagne called police to report both the girls as runaways. The minors were at another relative's home. A subsequent interview with the girls revealed the rape allegations.
Soon after the accusations were made, police video taped Charlemagne as he recounted his side of the story. During the trial, prosecutors used the tape as evidence against the defendant.
Defense attorneys, however, argued that the "confession" was pressured out of Charlemagne, who has a fifth-grade education. The defense said the victim fabricated the story because she was being told to do her homework and more chores around the home and was fighting with Charlemagne’s wife.
According to the St. Croix Avis, Charlemagne was convicted in 1995 for aggravated assault and battery in a domestic violence incident.
For the aggravated rape conviction, he faces a minimum of 10 years and a maximum of 30 years in prison. Sentencing is scheduled for May 24 in Territorial Court Judge Alphonso Andrews’ court.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Keeping our community informed is our top priority.
If you have a news tip to share, please call or text us at 340-228-8784.




Support local + independent journalism in the U.S. Virgin Islands

Unlike many news organizations, we haven't put up a paywall – we want to keep our journalism as accessible as we can. Our independent journalism costs time, money and hard work to keep you informed, but we do it because we believe that it matters. We know that informed communities are empowered ones. If you appreciate our reporting and want to help make our future more secure, please consider donating.

STAY CONNECTED

20,771FansLike
4,719FollowersFollow

FROM FACEBOOK

Comments Box SVG iconsUsed for the like, share, comment, and reaction icons
Load more
A St. Croix jury on Wednesday found a 40-year-old man guilty of three charges of raping a minor girl.
Auguste Charlemagne was convicted of aggravated rape, unlawful sexual contact and child abuse for twice raping a 15-year-old girl in 1998. The victim and her sister had been taken in by Charlemagne and his wife from St. Lucia.
The victim reported the rapes in March of last year after Charlemagne called police to report both the girls as runaways. The minors were at another relative's home. A subsequent interview with the girls revealed the rape allegations.
Soon after the accusations were made, police video taped Charlemagne as he recounted his side of the story. During the trial, prosecutors used the tape as evidence against the defendant.
Defense attorneys, however, argued that the "confession" was pressured out of Charlemagne, who has a fifth-grade education. The defense said the victim fabricated the story because she was being told to do her homework and more chores around the home and was fighting with Charlemagne’s wife.
According to the St. Croix Avis, Charlemagne was convicted in 1995 for aggravated assault and battery in a domestic violence incident.
For the aggravated rape conviction, he faces a minimum of 10 years and a maximum of 30 years in prison. Sentencing is scheduled for May 24 in Territorial Court Judge Alphonso Andrews’ court.