Education Commissioner Ruby Simmonds is expected to explain in an early morning meeting Monday why she is allowing five students who were part of a fracas on the campus in February to return to school, even though teachers last week staged a walkout over their return.
A press release Friday said CAHS students are to report to school one hour late Monday to allow for a meeting between Simmonds and school personnel. It gave no information on Simmonds' decision or the reasons behind it.
CAHS teachers walked out of class Thursday to protest the return of six students involved in the February incident where weapons were brandished and two students were stabbed.
One teacher told the Source that when the alleged troublemakers returned to campus Thursday, they were "giving everybody the 'high five' like some sort of conquering heroes."
"They're cocky as hell and don't belong here," said the teacher, who asked not to be named.
Deputy Superintendent William Frett had made the original decision to allow six of nine students involved in the fracas to return.
When the teachers found out about the decision, they staged a job action and classes had to be canceled Thursday.
Frett asked the six students to stay home Friday and teachers lodged a formal request with the superintendent's office asking that the remaining students not be allowed to return.
Media reports Saturday said Simmonds sent a letter to the teachers saying she was going to allow five of the six students to return to school Monday.