80.3 F
Charlotte Amalie
Saturday, July 2, 2022
HomeNewsArchivesCHRISTIAN SAYS MVB ABSENTEEISM DUE TO ILLNESS

CHRISTIAN SAYS MVB ABSENTEEISM DUE TO ILLNESS

After reports that a job action had shut down the Motor Vehicle Bureau circulated earlier this week, Police Commissioner Franz Christian has issued a statement saying the employees were out due to illness.
In the release issued from Government House Christian said, "It was learned that employees became ill over the weekend after eating a meal from a local restaurant last Friday."
In response to the job action reports, Central Labor Council President Luis "Tito" Morales said that while his Steelworkers Union was not part of any job action, he sympathized with the workers' problems, which Morales attributed to understaffing at the bureau.
Christian took issue with Morales' remark that the staff had been reduced from 20 to eight, causing problems at MVB.
"In the past, with manual processing of applications there may have been a need for 20 or more persons," he said. "However, with computers and automation the requirement is much less."
However, Christian said his department was processing the necessary paperwork to hire more employees. He didn't say how many would be hired.
In the meantime he said he would pull employees from other departments to provide service at the MVB until bureau employees can return to work.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Keeping our community informed is our top priority.
If you have a news tip to share, please call or text us at 340-228-8784.




Support local + independent journalism in the U.S. Virgin Islands

Unlike many news organizations, we haven't put up a paywall – we want to keep our journalism as accessible as we can. Our independent journalism costs time, money and hard work to keep you informed, but we do it because we believe that it matters. We know that informed communities are empowered ones. If you appreciate our reporting and want to help make our future more secure, please consider donating.

STAY CONNECTED

20,771FansLike
4,756FollowersFollow

FROM FACEBOOK

Comments Box SVG iconsUsed for the like, share, comment, and reaction icons
Load more
After reports that a job action had shut down the Motor Vehicle Bureau circulated earlier this week, Police Commissioner Franz Christian has issued a statement saying the employees were out due to illness.
In the release issued from Government House Christian said, "It was learned that employees became ill over the weekend after eating a meal from a local restaurant last Friday."
In response to the job action reports, Central Labor Council President Luis "Tito" Morales said that while his Steelworkers Union was not part of any job action, he sympathized with the workers' problems, which Morales attributed to understaffing at the bureau.
Christian took issue with Morales' remark that the staff had been reduced from 20 to eight, causing problems at MVB.
"In the past, with manual processing of applications there may have been a need for 20 or more persons," he said. "However, with computers and automation the requirement is much less."
However, Christian said his department was processing the necessary paperwork to hire more employees. He didn't say how many would be hired.
In the meantime he said he would pull employees from other departments to provide service at the MVB until bureau employees can return to work.