78.6 F
Charlotte Amalie
Sunday, December 5, 2021
HomeNewsArchivesGOVERNOR MOVING BACK TO CATHERINEBERG

GOVERNOR MOVING BACK TO CATHERINEBERG

Gov. Charles Turnbull is scheduled to move out of his rental house in Estate Elizabeth and back into his official residence on Denmark Hill this weekend.
The governor's home, known as Catherineberg, was closed last spring when health-threatening bacteria were found to be flourishing in it.
The Virgin Islands acquired the historic property as part of its purchase of the West Indian Co. from Denmark. It previously was the Danish consulate.
"It's not completely ready," WICO spokesman Calvin Wheatley said Saturday. But the governor "wants to get out of the place" that WICO has been renting for him before Nov. 1.
Turnbull has taken some heat for spending $7,000 a month to rent the lavish northside estate owned by Tana Mullendore. Although the rental is temporary and WICO picks up the bill, critics say it's all government money in the end.
Wheatley, reached at his home, could not say how much the renovations are expected to cost, how much has been spent so far or just what still has to be done.
In early April Edward Thomas, WICO's chief executive, said the WICO board had approved spending up to $350,000 for the renovations to Catherineberg. He said then that WICO had leased the Estate Elizabeth property for six months, which would account for Turnbull's desire to vacate the rental home by Nov. 1.
Perina Jacobs-McBrowne, Government House spokeswoman, said renovations probably will be completed while Turnbull is living at Catherineberg. Given his busy schedule, including a weekend trip to St. Croix for an ecological conference, she said it will be a squeeze for him to make the move by Monday, but that's his intention.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Advertising (skip)
Advertising (skip)
Keeping our community informed is our top priority.
If you have a news tip to share, please call or text us at 340-228-8784.




Support local + independent journalism in the U.S. Virgin Islands

Unlike many news organizations, we haven't put up a paywall – we want to keep our journalism as accessible as we can. Our independent journalism costs time, money and hard work to keep you informed, but we do it because we believe that it matters. We know that informed communities are empowered ones. If you appreciate our reporting and want to help make our future more secure, please consider donating.

JOIN OUR MAILING LIST

STAY CONNECTED

20,771FansLike
4,503FollowersFollow

FROM FACEBOOK

Comments Box SVG iconsUsed for the like, share, comment, and reaction icons
11 hours ago
Virgin Islands Source

As the VI Police Department continues to investigate Saturday morning’s attempted robbery in Havensight, VIPD Commissioner Ray Martinez confirmed community and police intel led officers to intercept a vehicle and take into custody two individuals - who were found with an automatic assault rifle, handgun and ammunition - that are deemed persons of interest in this and several other violent crimes. A third and possibly fourth suspect are being sought. Both victims of the attempted robbery are still being treated at Schneider Regional Medical Center. Story here: stthomassource.com/content/2021/12/04/two-persons-of-interest-in-havensight-robbery-in-custody-re... ... See MoreSee Less

Comment on Facebook

No bail…..

Robby LaPlace

Load more