89.3 F
Charlotte Amalie
Sunday, August 14, 2022
HomeNewsArchivesSINBAD POSTPONES DECISION ON FESTIVAL SITE

SINBAD POSTPONES DECISION ON FESTIVAL SITE

The entertainer Sinbad has reportedly put off for one week his decision on where to hold this year's Soul Music Festival.
Radio One news reported Monday that Sinbad and his top people are still weighing the pros and cons of St. Thomas versus Barbados, with charter flights being a key factor in the final decision.
Radio One's Jean Greaux said the decision is likely to be announced on the Tom Joyner Show next Monday, but could come before that.
St. Thomas tourism officials — private and public — have pulled out all the stops in an effort to win the big Memorial Day concert for the island. The payoff would be up to 8,000 concert-goers and a tremendous boost to the territory's economy.
If Sinbad does choose St. Thomas for the late May Soul Music Festival, he'll get free use of the V.I. Port Authority's Crown Bay facilities.
The authority's board voted unanimously last week to allow the entertainer to bring his festival to Crown Bay where he would construct a $1 million stage for the event, according to the Daily News.
Nick Pourzal, board member and managing director of Marriott Frenchman's Reef, said the event could bring 7,000 tourists who would spend $5,000 per couple for the week-long event. Pourzal said that could fill all the island's hotels and guest houses, and bring $8 million in gross receipts for the territory.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Keeping our community informed is our top priority.
If you have a news tip to share, please call or text us at 340-228-8784.




Support local + independent journalism in the U.S. Virgin Islands

Unlike many news organizations, we haven't put up a paywall – we want to keep our journalism as accessible as we can. Our independent journalism costs time, money and hard work to keep you informed, but we do it because we believe that it matters. We know that informed communities are empowered ones. If you appreciate our reporting and want to help make our future more secure, please consider donating.

FROM FACEBOOK

Comments Box SVG iconsUsed for the like, share, comment, and reaction icons

Host Adisha Penn recaps the week's biggest headlines while Consider the Source correspondent Christopher McDonald sits down in the studio with Education Commissioner Nominee Dionne Wells-Hedrington. ... See MoreSee Less

Load more
The entertainer Sinbad has reportedly put off for one week his decision on where to hold this year's Soul Music Festival.
Radio One news reported Monday that Sinbad and his top people are still weighing the pros and cons of St. Thomas versus Barbados, with charter flights being a key factor in the final decision.
Radio One's Jean Greaux said the decision is likely to be announced on the Tom Joyner Show next Monday, but could come before that.
St. Thomas tourism officials -- private and public -- have pulled out all the stops in an effort to win the big Memorial Day concert for the island. The payoff would be up to 8,000 concert-goers and a tremendous boost to the territory's economy.
If Sinbad does choose St. Thomas for the late May Soul Music Festival, he'll get free use of the V.I. Port Authority's Crown Bay facilities.
The authority's board voted unanimously last week to allow the entertainer to bring his festival to Crown Bay where he would construct a $1 million stage for the event, according to the Daily News.
Nick Pourzal, board member and managing director of Marriott Frenchman's Reef, said the event could bring 7,000 tourists who would spend $5,000 per couple for the week-long event. Pourzal said that could fill all the island's hotels and guest houses, and bring $8 million in gross receipts for the territory.