El Real Madrid, who won in a time of 1:38.1, will now set his sights on the annual Governor’s Cup during St. Thomas Carnival, where he will face the best thoroughbreds from both the U.S. and British Virgin Islands.
In Sunday’s race, the ninth on the card, jockey Jesus Guadelupe aboard El Real Madrid raced his mount just off the pace while Walk the Catwalk and Political Reporter duked it out on the front end. El Real began his run for the lead, approaching the three-eights, by which time Walk the Catwalk had put away Political Reporter and was all alone in the lead and looking very strong approaching the top of the stretch.
There may have been a little disappointment for those in the stands who expected El Real Madrid to blow by Walk the Catwalk, who had stepped up in class to run in this race, but the latter, with jockey Elmo Barnes in the irons, gave the champ all he could handle in the stretch.
El Real Madrid streaked under the wire at the finish, by two lengths in front of a game but outclassed Walk the Catwalk. Political Reporter was a distant third.
The finish time of 1:38.1 became a topic of discussion for many fans in the stands immediately after the race. For some it was just the right tune-up that he needed heading to St. Thomas, but for others he did not look sharp enough—especially since two other mile races, contested in lower classes also had finishing times of 1:38.1 and 1:38.2.
However, it must be noted that El Real Madrid carried a top weight of 120 pounds, while Walk the Catwalk carried 114 because of their class difference.
The rest of the day’s results:
Race 1 7 F Classes N-6, Jockey
1. Love City Slew, Angel Viera
2. Omayra Pride, Winston Hurst
3. Deuce’s Halo, Elmo Barnes
Race 2 1 M Classes I-4 & I-5, Jockey
1. Rasta Queen, Winston Hurst
2. Devil’s Revenge, Jesus Guadelupe
3. Cool Light, Myris Rivera
Race 3 7 ½ F Class I-5, Jockey
1. Big Thunder Reflec, Winston Hurst
2. Black Machine, Myris Rivera
3. Russian Way, E. Gonzales
Race 4 1 M Open V.I. Bred, Jockey
1. Creation Rebel, Juan Santiago
2. Express to Cali, Winston Hurst
3. Dinero, Sunday Diaz
Race 5 1 M Classes I-4 & I-5, Jockey
1. Blackjack Bob, Sunday Diaz
2. Skipski, Winston Hurst
3. Ala Cat, Alphonso Claudio
Race 6 1 M “Easter Bonnet” M/F, Jockey
1. Finish in Style, Elmo Barnes
2. Leggy Blond, Angel Viera
3. Wonderifiamspecial, Edwin Gonzales
Race 7 7 ½ F Class I-3, Jockey
1. Akebono, Christian Soto
2. Gallant Ruler, Edwin Gonzales
3. Full House Project, Angel Viera
Race 8 7 ½ F Class I-2, Jockey
1. Expect Smoke, Edwin Gonzales
2. Groomsman, Christian Soto
3. Temo’s Dream, Juan Santiago
Race 10 1 M Class N-4 & 5 Jockey
1. Small Fortune, Christian Soto
2. King of Kings, Elmo Barnes
3. Gold Finger, Steven Powell