81.7 F
Charlotte Amalie
Monday, September 26, 2022
HomeNewsLocal governmentNon-U.S. Citizens Can Apply for Social Security Card and Green Card at...

Non-U.S. Citizens Can Apply for Social Security Card and Green Card at Same Time

Victor Rodriguez, Area IV Public Affairs Specialist, Social Security Administration (submitted photo)

Non-U.S. citizens can now apply for a Social Security number or replacement Social Security card at the same time they file for a lawful permanent resident status or green card, according to Víctor Rodríguez, public affairs specialist at the Social Security Administration. This new service eliminates the need to visit one of the Social Security offices, saving people time and effort.

The Social Security Administration recently partnered with the Department of Homeland Security U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to expand its Enumeration Beyond Entry program.  Here’s how it works:

  1. When you complete your ‘Application to Register Permanent Residence’ or ‘Adjust Status (Form I-485),’ USCIS will send Social Security Adminstration information from your approved application to request an original or replacement Social Security card. You can find form I-485 at https://www.uscis.gov/i-485.
  2. Once Social Security receives and approves your Social Security card request, it will mail your Social Security card or replacement card to the address you gave on your I-485 application.
  3. Your Social Security card will arrive within seven business days after you receive your Permanent Resident Card from USCIS.

Please share this information with family and friends who may need it.  People can also help spread the message by sharing it on social media.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Social Security could not receive visitors at its field office except for previously arranged appointments on special limited critical situations. However, it continues providing services by phone and internet. If there are questions on Social Security benefits and services, access www.socialsecurity.gov

Advertising (skip)
Advertising (skip)
Advertising (skip)

Individuals could also access the Administration’s automated services at 1-800-772-1213 or call the local Social Security office between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m., Monday to Friday. To locate the telephone number of a local field office, input a residential zip code at https://www.ssa.gov/locator/ .

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Keeping our community informed is our top priority.
If you have a news tip to share, please call or text us at 340-228-8784.

Support local + independent journalism in the U.S. Virgin Islands

Unlike many news organizations, we haven't put up a paywall – we want to keep our journalism as accessible as we can. Our independent journalism costs time, money and hard work to keep you informed, but we do it because we believe that it matters. We know that informed communities are empowered ones. If you appreciate our reporting and want to help make our future more secure, please consider donating.