Tuesday, November 21, 2017 3:46 pm Last modified: 1:10 pm

US2020 STEM Coalition Challenge Seeks Applications

US2020
STEM Coalition Challenge

US2020 is igniting moments of discovery in students across the country through networks of local coalitions that embed Science-Technology-Engineering-Mathematics (STEM) mentorship in their DNA. The challenge seeks to strengthen current STEM partnerships or spur new ones that bring new mentorship and Maker-centered learning opportunity to kids — specifically girls, students from low-income families, and underrepresented students of color — in communities across the country.

Eligible communities

Advertising (skip)

US2020 is open to receiving applications from cities both big and small, representative of towns, metro-areas or counties. Throughout this document US2020 uses the word “communities” as a proxy for any of these groups. State- or nation-wide organizations might partner with coalitions through their local and regional branches.

Resources for winning cities

Six or more cities from across the country will share a package of around $1 million in cash and in-kind resources from US2020, including

A $50,000 cash grant for three Grand Prize Winners

2+ capacity-building staffing placements in each winning location

A customized, volunteering matchmaking platform to mobilize locally

Access to a national platform with US2020 and its partners

Measurement and evaluation tools and support, as well as group learning opportunities

Exclusive membership to the US2020 City Network and National Community of Practice, and

Ongoing capacity building support, including access to experts, coaching, and networking opportunities

Instructions and Tips

Before beginning, review STEM Coalition Challenge information on the website. www.us2020challenge.org

Make sure to create an account with submittable. This will allow a student to begin the application, save it and make changes up until the final submission date. All applications must be submitted through this website.

Until the student presses the “Submit” button, your application is considered a draft. Draft applications not submitted will not be considered by US2020 or judges. Make sure to keep saving the work.

The application consists of both required questions and an optional opportunity to upload supporting documentation and artifacts to share a story.

Pay attention to the word limits. If the writer pastes in answers from an outside document, please review each answer to ensure these do not exceed US2020’s word limits.

All applications must be submitted by3 p.m. ET, Friday Nov. 17. No late applications will be accepted. No changes may be made to the student’s application after submission.

If there are any questions, feel free to contact: STEMChallenge@us2020.org

Support the VI Source

Unlike many news organizations, we haven't put up a paywall - we want to keep our journalism as open as we can. Our sites are more popular than ever, but advertising revenues are falling - so you can see why we could use your help. Our independent journalism costs time, money and hard work to keep you informed, but we do it because we believe that it matters. If everybody who appreciates our reporting efforts were to help fund it for as little as $1, our future would be much more secure. Thanks in advance for your support!