A host of cooks went home with prizes at the end of the University of the Virgin Islands Afternoon on the Green festivities Sunday, held on the Herman E. Moore Golf Course on the St. Thomas Campus.
UVI President David Hall, Vice President for Institutional Advancement Mitchell Neaves and Afternoon on the Green Committee Co-Chair Kyza Callwood announced the awards presented to some 50 volunteers who prepared meals served to community members. The event is UVI’s largest fundraiser with proceeds going to the Edward Thomas Volunteer Scholarship Fund.
“While we are giving prizes to these cooks, the real winners are all of you who turned out to support this great event,” Hall told the crowd.
Attendees voted via paper ballot and a special text number set up by event sponsor AT&T. Judges determined first, second and third place winners in a host of food categories from main dishes to seafood entrees, desserts, soups and native drinks.
Elbert Petersen received first prize in the “Overall People’s Choice” award category for his jerk chicken entry. Petersen won a Samsung Galaxy Tablet 4 from AT&T, along with a trip for four to Puerto Rico.
Second prize in the “Overall People’s Choice” award went to Nalinie Kamnaraine for her goat water soup entry. She won a trip for two to St. Croix.
The UVI Provost’s Office took home third place for its vegetable soup. The prize was a gift certificate from the St. Thomas Restaurant Group.
Two Edward Thomas Volunteer Scholarship awards were presented, one to Charlotte Amalie High School senior student McKim Colaire, the other to UVI junior student Duane Hyatt.
Afternoon on the Green 2016 Winners
Overall People’s Choice
– 1st Prize – Jerk Chicken, Elbert A. Petersen
– 2nd Prize – Goat Water, Nalinie Kamnaraine
– 3rd Prize – Vegetable Soup, UVI Office of the Provost
Pastries and Sweets
– 1st Prize – Vanilla Cupcakes, Dorian J. Hairston
– 2nd Prize – Pistachio Cake, Shaniqua Thomas
– 3rd Prize – Pina Colada Cake, Shaniqua Thomas
– 1st Prize – Jerk Chicken, Elbert Petersen
– 2nd Prize – Coconut Curry Chicken, Ingrid Simon, Emerald Beach Resort
– 3rd Prize – Souse and Potato Salad, University Bound
– 1st Prize – Prudy’s Bake Macaroni and Cheese, Prudencia Freeman
– 2nd Prize – Baked Macaroni and Cheese, Office of Sen. Marvin Blyden
– 3rd Prize – Seasoned Rice, Office of Sen. Marvin Blyden
Vegetables and Casseroles
– 1st Prize – Veggie Lasagna, Office of Sen. Marvin Blyden
– 2nd Prize – Eggplant Parmesan, University Bound
– 3rd Prize – Aloo Gobi (cauliflower & potato); UVI Provost Office; Candied Yams, Island Vibes Summer Camp
– 1st Prize – Pick-Up Saltfish, Edna Pole
– 2nd Prize – Saltfish Cook-Up, Sharleen A. Fahie; Prudy’s Seafood Combo, Prudencia Freeman
– 3rd Prize – California Roll, Buddha Sushi; Stewed Fish, University Bound
– 1st Prize – Goat Water, Nalinie Kamnaraine
– 2nd Prize – Ed’s Goat Water, Edna Pole
– 3rd Prize – Chicken Soup, Family Resource Center; Pumpkin Soup, Friends and Supporters of Sen. Tregenza Roach; Red Pea Soup, Lorraine George
– 1st Prize – Pumpkin Spice Bread, Vivian St. Juste; Josie’s Banana Bread, Josephine Humphreys
– 1st Prize – Popeye’s Revenge, Marquis Aubain
– 2nd Prize – Anegada Iced Tea, Mary Joe Williams
– 3rd Prize – Suzie’s Ginger Beer, Suzanne Adrien; Passionfruit-Guava Iced Tea, Sean Benjamin
Afternoon on the Green Co-Chairs Kyza Callwood, Dannica Thomas and Cherie Wheatley thanked all of the Afternoon on the Green sponsors for their support.