77.7 F
Charlotte Amalie
Saturday, April 20, 2024
HomeNewsArchivesStudent Speakers Meet The 4-Way Test

Student Speakers Meet The 4-Way Test

Feb. 28, 2009 — Six students stepped up to the microphone at the David C. Canegata Multipurpose Recreational Center Saturday and gave their all in the Rotary 4-Way Test Speech Contest.
The second annual competition, attended by 20 or so friends, family members and Rotarians, was sponsored by Rotary Club Harborside.
"This is an excellent opportunity for young people to tap into their creativity and share something they are passionate about," said Sonia L. Boyce, immediate past president of the Harborside Club. "They may speak about anything they are interested in as long as it meets the 4 Way Test."
The 4-Way Test is: Is it the truth? Is it fair to all concerned? Will it build good will and better friendships? Will it be beneficial to all concerned?
The students were judged on content with human interest appeal, clarity and expressiveness of language and vocabulary. The speeches needed to be well-organized, with an introduction, development and conclusion.
The delivery had to be clearly enunciated, with good eye contact and the ability to captivate the audience. The length of the speeches was to be between five and seven minutes.
"This is the first step in your journey to greater things," Boyce told all of the participants as she gave out certificates of participation.
Evanna Mills took first place with her speech on self-reliance. Mills, 16, attends St. Croix Central High School where she is a member of the National Honor Society.
"I feel grateful to have won," Mills said. "I just learned about the contest this past Wednesday."
Lennox Brian Mark and Murchtricia Charles tied for second place.
Mark, a senior at St. Croix Educational Complex, spoke about lifting the U.S. trade embargo with Cuba. Mark is also in the National Honor Society and on the school newspaper staff. He wants to major in political science and economics at an Ivy League school. He also took second place last year in the speech contest.
Charles, a sophomore at Central High School, gave a speech on single parenting. Charles has been in the academic quiz bowl and is a member of the Crucian Cooks Cuisine Club.
Haley Allick, a senior at Educational Complex, took third place with her speech about global warming. She said she wants to major in environmental studies or journalism when she goes to college next year.
The first place prize was a laptop computer, second was a $500 check and the third place winner got $300.
"Mills and Charles both did exceptionally well," said Cheryl Jeremiah Ambrose, coach and English teacher at Central High School. "Mills is very passionate about being independent and self reliant. Charles felt the topic, lived the topic and felt the passion."
Also participating were Educational Complex students Keywan Johnson and Dania Nero.
Judges were Rotarians Lionel Downer, Dorothy McIntosh, Howell and snowbird Rotarian Sisco Volpe from Boston. Political science professor Kula Francis of the University of the Virgin Islands also was a judge.
Back Talk

Share your reaction to this news with other Source readers. Please include headline, your name and city and state/country or island where you reside.

Keeping our community informed is our top priority.
If you have a news tip to share, please call or text us at 340-228-8784.

Support local + independent journalism in the U.S. Virgin Islands

Unlike many news organizations, we haven't put up a paywall – we want to keep our journalism as accessible as we can. Our independent journalism costs time, money and hard work to keep you informed, but we do it because we believe that it matters. We know that informed communities are empowered ones. If you appreciate our reporting and want to help make our future more secure, please consider donating.

UPCOMING EVENTS

UPCOMING EVENTS