77.7 F
Charlotte Amalie
Sunday, April 14, 2024
HomeNewsArchivesSuspect In St. John Grand Larceny Arrested, Then Released

Suspect In St. John Grand Larceny Arrested, Then Released

Nov. 26, 2005 –– Police arrested Tullius C. Stewart at Cyril E. King Airport at 6:19 p.m. on Thursday. Stewart, a St. John resident, wanted in connection with an Oct. 23 grand larceny at the Grunwald home of David Geiger, had told the police exactly when he would be arriving from California, but was not accompanied by any law enforcement personnel, Sgt. Thomas Hannah, police spokesman, said Friday.
Stewart is charged with grand larceny and possession of stolen property.
On Oct. 29, Geiger, 44, was murdered with a blunt force instrument and his bed – where his body was found – set on fire. Geiger's 14-year-old son, Nathan, was also severely injured in the incident. Neighbors pulled Nathan Geiger from the house and put out the fire.
Hannah said Friday that Stewart had turned himself in because, "he didn't want any part of what happened afterward," meaning the murder.
Hannah said that Renell Lettsome, 21, is still wanted on first-degree murder charges in connection with the Geiger murder. Lettsome, who remains at large, is considered armed and dangerous.
Lettsome is also wanted on first-degree assault, third-degree assault, arson, and the possession and use of a dangerous weapon during the commission of a violent crime. If he is apprehended it has already been determined he'll have to post $1 million in bail money to get out of jail.
Police Commissioner Elton Lewis said at a press conference Monday, called to announce the arrest warrants had been issued for the pair, that Lettsome may be on Tortola, but added the police have received conflicting information.
He said that anyone found harboring Lettsome will be arrested.
Lewis said in press release issued Friday afternoon that Stewart contacted the police Monday – several hours after he had announced that Superior Court warrants had been issued for Stewart and Lettsome.
Lewis said Stewart, 29, called from California and told police he wanted to turn himself in.
Hannah said in a phone conversation Friday that the warrant was issued for Stewart's arrest was based on reports of $50,000 or more being missing from Geiger's house. Hannah did not know who made the reports to police, but said Friday that the department had received several calls from St. John about the missing money before Geiger was killed.
Bail was set at $100,000, but Lewis, in the press release, said that Stewart failed to post bail.
"He was remanded to the Bureau of Corrections on St. Thomas," Lewis said.
According to reports in the Saturday editions of The V.I. Daily News and The Avis newspapers, Stewart was released on his own recognizance by Superior Court Judge Leon Kendall at a Friday morning advice of rights hearing.
The Daily News reported Kendall found probable cause to uphold the charges against Stewart, then released him, ruling his voluntary return to the territory and surrender demonstrated that he was not a flight risk. Bail had previously been set at $100,000, an amount Kendall said he found excessive.
Stewart's arraignment hearing, according to the Avis, is Dec. 1.
Lewis asked that anyone with information about Lettsome call the Police Department's Major Crime Unit at 715-5534 or 715-5546, the Crime Line at 777-8711 or 911.

Back Talk

Share your reaction to this news with other Source readers. Please include headline, your name and city and state/country or island where you reside.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Keeping our community informed is our top priority.
If you have a news tip to share, please call or text us at 340-228-8784.

Support local + independent journalism in the U.S. Virgin Islands

Unlike many news organizations, we haven't put up a paywall – we want to keep our journalism as accessible as we can. Our independent journalism costs time, money and hard work to keep you informed, but we do it because we believe that it matters. We know that informed communities are empowered ones. If you appreciate our reporting and want to help make our future more secure, please consider donating.