April 23, 2004 – The Police Department has issued the following list of things to do, things not to do, and things to think about for safety's sake during the coming finale week of V.I. Carnival festivities.
Compiled by the American Red Cross, these are words of wisdom particularly aimed at young people, but they can apply to anyone of any age caught up in the excitement of makin' mas.
– Be aware of what's going on around you.
– Keep close to the adult you came with or that person whom you trust and know well.
– Stay out of dark areas. Dark areas make you someone's target.
– Don't get high. Getting high can cause you to do things you are not aware of doing, like having unprotected sex.
– Unprotected sex can cost you your life.
– Unprotected sex can cause you to get infected with HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases and an unwanted baby with HIV.
– Don't put yourself in something you know you can avoid.
– Don't let someone make you to something that you or your parents don't approve.
– If something happens to you, make sure you tell someone that you trust. That person could help you make the right decision, which could save your life.
Publisher's note : Like the St. Croix Source now? Find out how you can love us twice as much — and show your support for the islands' free and independent news voice … click here.