Jan. 8, 2004 – Labor Commissioner Cecil Benjamin would neither confirm nor deny on Thursday allegations made by Sen. Usie Richards on Wednesday based on calls Richards said were made to his office.
Benjamin referred to the controversy surrounding his memos issued last month demanding his employees attend an awards ceremony or face having their pay docked.
He said Thursday morning that he will not participate in furthering the controversy. He said he would be happy to discuss "productive things that will benefit the community and improve our standard of living."
Benjamin did say that his department directors had been advised not to adjust employees' pay for those who didn't attend an awards and recognition ceremony Dec. 23 on St. Croix. (See "Senator adds more fuel to labor awards flap."
Share your reaction to this news with other Source readers. Please include headline, your name, and city and state/country or island where you reside.
Publisher's note : Like the St. Croix Source now? Find out how you can love us twice as much — and show your support for the islands' free and independent news voice … click here.