Nov. 17, 2003 Limited services will be available at the Motor Vehicle Bureau in Sub Base for the remainder of this week, a police official said, even though flooding from last week's relentless rains wreaked havoc, destroying machinery and furnishings.
In a release sent out on Sunday night, Police Commissioner Elton Lewis had announced the closing of the bureau.
However, Sgt. Thomas Hannah, Police Department spokesman, said on Monday that while the bureau was not expected to re-open "anytime soon," he hoped that some services could be rendered.
Beginning Tuesday, he said, the bureau will:
Conduct vehicle inspections.
Issue permits to move vehicles to the bureau in Sub Base after customs and road tax requirements have been met.
Administer road tests, weather permitting.
What will not be done, according to a release sent Monday night, is the providing of any services requiring the use of electronic equipment. This would include issuing new vehicle registrations and drivers' licenses and renewing existing ones.
Lewis said no tickets would be issued to drivers with registrations or licenses expiring in November.
However, he said, motorists with licenses and registrations that expired prior to November would be subject to the usual penalties.
Neither Lewis nor Hannah speculated about how long the clean-up at the St. Thomas facility would take. According to the release, the public will be notified when it will reopen.
As of Monday night telephone service was still out at the bureau.
Publisher's note : Like the St. Thomas Source now? Find out how you can love us twice as much — and show your support for the islands' free and independent news voice… click here.