Oct. 6, 2003 — The University of the Virgin Islands Bulletin Board issued today has these announcements:
Reichhold Center to Mark 25th Anniversary With Caribbean Premiere of Film
UVI's Reichhold Center for the Arts will mark its 25th anniversary with the Caribbean premiere of the independent film "Me & Mrs. Jones," at 7:30 p.m. on Oct. 19. The film was directed, produced and co-written by native son Edward LaBorde Jr. Tickets for "Me & Mrs. Jones" are $8 and are available at the Reichhold Center box office. For ticket information call the box office at 693-1559.
A limited number of $5 tickets are being offered to full-time UVI students (valid UVI identification required) For details, contact the box office.
UVI Volleyball Squads to Host Puerto Rican Teams Oct. 10-11
UVI faculty, staff and students and the V.I. public are encouraged to come out for this weekend's varsity volleyball action – the only varsity matches scheduled on St. Thomas for the 2003 season. The UVI teams' other matches in the Inter-University Sports Organization (ODI) league are all taking place in Puerto Rico this season.
The Buccaneers and Lady Buccaneers will be hosting Inter-University Sports Organization (ODI) squads from Puerto Rico's East University (UNE) and Metropolitan University (UMET) on Friday and Saturday, Oct. 10 and 11, at the UVI Sports and Fitness Center.
Friday, Oct. 10
6:30 p.m. – UNE vs. UVI (women)
8 p.m. – UNE vs. UVI (men)
Saturday, Oct. 11
6:30 p.m. – UMET vs. UVI (women)
8 p.m. – UMET vs. UVI (men)
"Reading Is Fundamental" Schedules First Book Distributions on St. Croix
Students at the Alfredo Andrews Elementary School on St. Croix will be the first recipients of free books distributed by the "Reading Is Fundamental" (RIF) program organized by the UVI humanities division on St. Croix.
A first book distribution, with V.I. Sen. Ronald Russell as guest presenter, is scheduled at the school at 1 p.m. Oct. 10. A total of 180 students will receive books. The session will also include selected readings by students and an overview of the RIF program.
A second RIF distribution, to another 180 students, is scheduled for Oct. 24 at the Arthur Richards Elementary School. Future distributions are expected in December and February.
The federal government pays 75 percent of the cost of the books distributed in the RIF program. UVI's Humanities Division pays the remaining 25 percent.
The RIF program is in its second year. Last school year students at Central High School and the St. Croix Educational Complex were the beneficiaries. For more information contact Valerie Combie at 693-4126.
UVI Seventh-day Adventists Students Association Sets Installation
The UVI Seventh-day Adventist Student Association will hold an installation service at 7:15 p.m. Friday, Oct. 10, at the Maranatha SDA Church near Kirwan Terrace School. Pastor J. Wilmoth James will be the speaker. Alumni and the public are invited. For details call Dr. Dion Phillips at 693-1261.
For more on the University of the Virgin Islands, visit the Web site at www.uvi.edu.
Publisher's note : Like the St. Croix Source now? Find out how you can love us twice as much — and show your support for the islands' free and independent news voice … click here.