83.9 F
Charlotte Amalie
Thursday, May 26, 2022
HomeNewsArchivesNON-SCHOOL HALLOWEEN EVENTS STILL ON

NON-SCHOOL HALLOWEEN EVENTS STILL ON

Oct. 26, 2001 – Privately sponsored children's Halloween parties are not affected by an announcement from Gov. Charles W. Turnbull Thursday night that he had directed the Education commissioner to cancel all activities relating to the holiday throughout the public school system.
The Source reported earlier Thursday that the Joseph Sibilly School had been ordered to call off Friday's Halloween party, an annual fundraiser presented by Parent Teacher Association volunteers to raise money for school projects. [See "Education cancels Sibilly Halloween party".]
Allegra Kean, marketing manager at Coral World Marine Park, said on Friday morning that her office had received several calls from parents — "enough to make us concerned" — wanting to know if the Halloween party scheduled there for Saturday from noon to 5 p.m. was still on. The answer is "yes, definitely." The same applies to any other children's events that are not public school functions.
In a Government House release distributed to the news media after 9 p.m. Thursday, Turnbull said he directed Education Commissioner Ruby Simmonds "to cancel Halloween activities throughout the public school system to prevent the heightening of anxieties around the territory at a time when many persons are experiencing increasing fears and security concerns due to the acts of terrorism and biochemical attacks and threats, including anthrax, that have been perpetrated against America since Sept. 11."
Turnbull stated in the release that "common sense and sound judgment should prevail." Noting that in years past there have been "serious incidents and inappropriate and dangerous pranks" at Halloween, he said, "I think it is better to err on the side of precaution than to run the risk of incidents or criminal acts that might escalate the anxieties and potential dangers Virgin Islanders are presently experiencing."
Tutu Park Mall marketing Pamela Morales' response Friday morning was that her organization — and probably any organization — "that has decided to go ahead with their plans is taking a proactive approach — seeing that the property remains secure and keeping in contact with local and federal authorities" about any local concerns.
Morales sees the mall party, set for Saturday from 1 to 6 p.m., as an instance of normalcy at a time when lives have been disrupted by abnormal events and threats. "We have been doing this [hosting a party] for eight years," she said, "and the children are looking forward to it. We've been told by President Bush, Mrs. Bush and others to talk to our children, to assure them that we love them, and that life does go on — and, essentially, that is what this is about."
For a run-down of these and other children's Halloween events being sponsored by organizations and business groups on St. Thomas, see "Parties for kids take trick-or-treating inside".

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Keeping our community informed is our top priority.
If you have a news tip to share, please call or text us at 340-228-8784.




Support local + independent journalism in the U.S. Virgin Islands

Unlike many news organizations, we haven't put up a paywall – we want to keep our journalism as accessible as we can. Our independent journalism costs time, money and hard work to keep you informed, but we do it because we believe that it matters. We know that informed communities are empowered ones. If you appreciate our reporting and want to help make our future more secure, please consider donating.

STAY CONNECTED

20,771FansLike
4,724FollowersFollow

FROM FACEBOOK

Comments Box SVG iconsUsed for the like, share, comment, and reaction icons
Load more
Oct. 26, 2001 - Privately sponsored children's Halloween parties are not affected by an announcement from Gov. Charles W. Turnbull Thursday night that he had directed the Education commissioner to cancel all activities relating to the holiday throughout the public school system.
The Source reported earlier Thursday that the Joseph Sibilly School had been ordered to call off Friday's Halloween party, an annual fundraiser presented by Parent Teacher Association volunteers to raise money for school projects. [See "Education cancels Sibilly Halloween party".]
Allegra Kean, marketing manager at Coral World Marine Park, said on Friday morning that her office had received several calls from parents -- "enough to make us concerned" -- wanting to know if the Halloween party scheduled there for Saturday from noon to 5 p.m. was still on. The answer is "yes, definitely." The same applies to any other children's events that are not public school functions.
In a Government House release distributed to the news media after 9 p.m. Thursday, Turnbull said he directed Education Commissioner Ruby Simmonds "to cancel Halloween activities throughout the public school system to prevent the heightening of anxieties around the territory at a time when many persons are experiencing increasing fears and security concerns due to the acts of terrorism and biochemical attacks and threats, including anthrax, that have been perpetrated against America since Sept. 11."
Turnbull stated in the release that "common sense and sound judgment should prevail." Noting that in years past there have been "serious incidents and inappropriate and dangerous pranks" at Halloween, he said, "I think it is better to err on the side of precaution than to run the risk of incidents or criminal acts that might escalate the anxieties and potential dangers Virgin Islanders are presently experiencing."
Tutu Park Mall marketing Pamela Morales' response Friday morning was that her organization -- and probably any organization -- "that has decided to go ahead with their plans is taking a proactive approach -- seeing that the property remains secure and keeping in contact with local and federal authorities" about any local concerns.
Morales sees the mall party, set for Saturday from 1 to 6 p.m., as an instance of normalcy at a time when lives have been disrupted by abnormal events and threats. "We have been doing this [hosting a party] for eight years," she said, "and the children are looking forward to it. We've been told by President Bush, Mrs. Bush and others to talk to our children, to assure them that we love them, and that life does go on -- and, essentially, that is what this is about."
For a run-down of these and other children's Halloween events being sponsored by organizations and business groups on St. Thomas, see "Parties for kids take trick-or-treating inside".