80.3 F
Charlotte Amalie
Sunday, July 3, 2022
HomeNewsArchivesSMOKE FROM FIRE FORCES SCHOOL CLOSURE

SMOKE FROM FIRE FORCES SCHOOL CLOSURE

MARCH 30, 2001 – Heavy smoke from a brush fire on Thursday forced the closure of Charles H. Emanuel Elementary School and sent at least one student to the hospital.
Emanuel Elementary principal Basil Williams said a dense pall of smoke wafted into the school from a fire 100 yards away from the campus, forcing the evacuation of students at about 11:30 a.m. Four students suffered smoke inhalation, three of whom were treated at the school.
The fourth student, who has asthma, was transported to the Juan F. Luis Hospital for treatment.
"Thick smoke engulfed the school," Williams said. "We sounded the alarm and the students evacuated the school in a speedy manner. It was particularly bad for asthmatics."
The school itself didn’t suffer any damage from the five-acre fire, Williams said, and is expected to resume classes on Friday.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Keeping our community informed is our top priority.
If you have a news tip to share, please call or text us at 340-228-8784.




Support local + independent journalism in the U.S. Virgin Islands

Unlike many news organizations, we haven't put up a paywall – we want to keep our journalism as accessible as we can. Our independent journalism costs time, money and hard work to keep you informed, but we do it because we believe that it matters. We know that informed communities are empowered ones. If you appreciate our reporting and want to help make our future more secure, please consider donating.

STAY CONNECTED

20,771FansLike
4,757FollowersFollow

FROM FACEBOOK

Comments Box SVG iconsUsed for the like, share, comment, and reaction icons
Load more
MARCH 30, 2001 – Heavy smoke from a brush fire on Thursday forced the closure of Charles H. Emanuel Elementary School and sent at least one student to the hospital.
Emanuel Elementary principal Basil Williams said a dense pall of smoke wafted into the school from a fire 100 yards away from the campus, forcing the evacuation of students at about 11:30 a.m. Four students suffered smoke inhalation, three of whom were treated at the school.
The fourth student, who has asthma, was transported to the Juan F. Luis Hospital for treatment.
"Thick smoke engulfed the school," Williams said. "We sounded the alarm and the students evacuated the school in a speedy manner. It was particularly bad for asthmatics."
The school itself didn’t suffer any damage from the five-acre fire, Williams said, and is expected to resume classes on Friday.