Sunday, October 22, 2017 12:35 am Last modified: 8:06 am

Farmers on Government Land Required to Have Insurance

The many farmers leasing farmland from the V.I. government must purchase liability insurance, which is available, Agriculture Commissioner Carlos Robles said in a statement this week.

More than 100 farmers lease land in the community gardens behind the Rudolph Schulterbrandt Agriculture Complex, and former VICORP sugar land and other government land is leased through the Department of Property and Procurement for farming. Since 2014, Property and Procurement has been enforcing a lease requirement that those who farm government land need insurance.

The government’s lease provision states that individuals who currently lease, have written permission to occupy, or plan to lease farmland from the government of the Virgin Islands for agricultural purposes must obtain liability insurance.

Advertising (skip)

Getting insurance has been a hurdle for some. But after discussions with representatives from various insurance companies and the Insurance Commissioner’s Office of the Lt. Governor, the Agriculture Department is announcing that general liability insurance is now available for purchase.

The minimum limit of liability on the general liability insurance coverage is $100,000.

Going forward, farmers will not be able to conduct business with the V.I. government without a certificate of insurance. The Agriculture Department says to contact your insurance agent for price information.

To find out more, contact Errol Chichester on St. Croix at 778-0997 or Manley James on St. Thomas at 774-5182.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Leave a Reply